Tuesday 4 December 2012

Napa Valley Marina to San Francisco



 I bought Fete Accomplie over the net from the descriptions and photos I saw on the net. This was my third attempt to buy a yacht from the US. Above are the photos that sold me on her - She was just what I had envisaged when I decided to buy a yacht and sail the world some 30 years ago. I was so eager to get over to Napa Marina that I rang Kirby Long, GM, Marina Operations/broker and put in an offer there and then - subject only to Survey.
A couple of anxious days went by before Kirby rang back and we did the deal over the net. Now all I had to do was get on a plane and get over there while she was lifted out and the surveyor, Jan Van Sickle, gave me the good and bad news.

Napa Valley Marina:

 Napa Marina is set in the picturesque and scenic valley and is surrounded by spectacular vineyards and waterways. The marina itself open straight on to the Napa River which runs down to San Francisco Bay - a gentle days motoring.
The Napa/Sonoma Valleys house some of the finest American wines that you will ever come across. In fact, Greg & Laura Guinn, the couple from whom I purchased Fete from, had a mobile corking and labeling business and Greg applied his talents to the top 50 vintners of the region. This delightful couple shared some of their personal favorite wines with us during our stay.


In speaking of Greg and his lovely wife Laura, we found out that people came from all over America and the world to go hot air ballooning thru this beautiful part of the world. Laura is one of the pilots of one of these majestic craft. 
As well as this particular scenery, we enjoyed some amazing sunsets whilst in the marina as you can see below.


Me, Patricia and Mark after too many Napa reds one evening on Fete at the Marina
Whilst we were there we met many fine people who treated us very kindly and one couple in particular, Mark and Patricia Barmettler, treated us like family. Mark was a genius and was working on his 50ft yacht in the Marina as well. How we met is a very interesting story.
I received a call from Kirby Long one nite before I left Aus to go and get the boat. He said that a local couple needed a range hood for the on board stove, to be delivered. They had searched everywhere to find a suitable model and they had sources it thru a Mobile home manufacturer in Canberra Australia. They asked whether I would bring it over for them, and I was happy to oblige as it weighed nothing. On arrival I presented them with their range hood and we became friends. subsequently I found out that they were the next door neighbours of Greg and Laura Guinn (The people whom I purchased Fete off).

After several weeks and much work getting Fete up to speed for the trip home to Australia, we set off one Sunday morning for San Francisco. It would take us all day to motor down the Napa River. A spectacular journey which, sadly, I didn't get any photos of at the time. The trip took us thru man raised bridges and past the industrial areas of the River system and then into San Francisco Bay itself. I was amazed at the seals that were everywhere.
Below is a pictorial of the Napa River downloaded from the net just so you can see the contrasts of the region on the river.

Main North/South Highway bridge into Napa

Man raised bridge over the Napa River




Exiting the Napa River we entered San Francisco Bay and as you will see from here down, what a difference.


Baby seals on Channel marker at northern end of San Francisco Bay

One of the four main bridges that cross San Francisco Bay. At the foot of the bridge on the left hand side is Sing Sing Prison which took over after Alcatraz was decommissioned
The Bay area is spectacular in its own right and below I will post some more pics for you all to see. But some facts about the bay: I was told that 13 trillion litres of water pass thru under the Golden Gate every day. I can attest to this for as we passed Alcatraz, you can see and feel the current pushing and pulling at the boat.

This is the southern side of Alcatraz as we passed her heading for Pier 41 in San Francisco
Alcatraz - as you can see is a monument to its own existence. Surrounded by swirling tides and so close to the Bay area, its little wonder whey there were so few successful escapes.
The Bay has 4 main bridges crossing it at different areas, of which the most famous is the Golden Gate. This bridge is unbelievable from both the sea and from the ground.


My 1st view from San Francisco Bay at The Golden Gate off to the south-west as we headed into San Francisco


1 comment:

  1. Now this makes sense! the beginning not the end.

    David

    ReplyDelete