Friday 19 April 2024

The start of something new... 
New beginnings and new stories to tell and share.  



It's been over 5 years since I last put a blog together and there was a good reason for this. I will not share all the details, but I want to tell you some of it so as you can be aware of the need to have your Bowel Tests done and checked - They are Free to those over 50. 

I was one of those guys that just got the Bowel Cancer Test kit (see below) and threw it into the bin thinking that I'm alright and I'm bullet proof. 



Well, what can I say, I was not bullet proof and yes, I got Bowel Cancer. For 5 years and 7 months I have been in treatment with numerous surgeries and multiple doses of Chemo and radiation, but thanks to Dr Rob Mason, Gold Coast University Hospital, Dr Andrew Oar, of Icon Radiation and the wonderful staff in the Day Care Unit and the Oncology Outpatients Department, I have come through quite amazingly.
No, I haven't been cured, but at present I am clear and this has given me new life and determination to carry on my dream of sailing and doing all the things I haven't yet done on Fete Accomplie.


 So out with the old and onto the New . . .

The Pic above on the left is my berth at Hope Island Marina (The Old) and the pic on the
right, and the pano below, are my current digs in the Broadwater on the Gold Coast, (The New). 


 I was a bit apprehensive at the thought of leaving the security of the marina considering that I am still under treatment, but now that I have left, all that anxiety 
has gone, and I am again continuing on with my dreams.


 
This is a view of my/Fete's Rudder, as you can see . . .
This rudder has steered me on many a wonderful voyage
and thru some terrible times like a Hurrican 6 days out of San Francisco as well as these last 5-6 years of what I have stated earlier.

I have never believed in a negative prognosis, as I have stated to Dr Rob, I believe "What will happen, will happen" so I just got on with my everyday life and let the wonderful people at the Gold Coast University Hospital treat me.

I always had faith in their ability to do as much as possible for me thru this period - and now I have a window, (maybe a small one, but still a window), to get on with my life so I'm taking it!!!



So, what about you? Will you let this terrible disease control your life, like it has mine???


Remember one thing when you next get your test kit . . .60% of people that get diagnosed with bowel cancer die within 3-6 months, but if they catch it early enough there's a 90% chance of being cured.


So which way will your rudder steer you?????


That's all for this Blog - I hope you all take notice and as always . . .

Cheers till next time . . .








24 comments:

  1. Hi Shaunie, good on you for sharing and most importantly for being positive and continuing your adventures! Enjoy and stay safe…are you still on the Broadwater? I live on Marine Pde so could grab a cuppa?? Enjoy this glorious day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Shaun, you have always had a positive attitude towards everything that life has thr own your way.
      So pleased that you know able to move a big step closer to your lifes dream out on the open sea.
      Very proud of you mate.
      PS: Don't worry I won't ask you to visit my beautifully cold Toowoomda, I will venture south-east to catchup .
      Cheers Mate

      Delete
    2. OK Then - see ya soon

      Delete
  2. Oops…previous message is from Dianora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you sailor, good blog, hope to have a buddy or two with you soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartfelt and well written Capt.Chicko....que sera sera 🤗 SM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing you at sunny coast, you are amazing love rae ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best news ever Shaun, enjoy, stay safe - Shaz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to hear from you - I'll be passing thru your way soon and will drop in for a beer or 20 - S

      Delete
  7. Well explained Shaun. You’ve been given another chance at life & you’ve broken free to continue the journey of life. This venture takes a lot of guts!!! Happy & safe sailing. Jim (SV Perchance).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news Shaun, ive been checking for the past 15 years all good so far, sail on mate! BRETT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck mate. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m really happy for you-Chase those dreams-I hope we can catch up soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog Shaun ..look forward to catching up on your / my travels north later this year ...Imagine 1V

    ReplyDelete